Join host Robert Forto as he welcomes David Frei to on Dog Works Radio. On this episode we talk about the upcoming Beverly Hills Dog Show on NBC, dog sports, therapy dogs and more.
David has officiated dog shows all over the world, and has served as NBC’s broadcast host of the National Dog Show for 19 years and the Beverly Hills Dog Show for the last four years. He also hosted television coverage of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show for 27 years. A successful former breeder/handler/owner, he is proudest of the work his therapy dogs have done at the Ronald McDonald House of New York, the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the New York VA Hospital, among other health-related institutions. Frei’s first book, “The Angel by My Side” (Hay House Publishing, 2002, with Mike Lingenfelter), claimed two Dog Writers Association of America (DWAA) Awards. His latest book, “Angel on a Leash” (BowTie Press, 2011), also a DWAA award winner, tells of his years of experience and work with therapy dogs. Frei was inducted into the Dog Writers Association of America Hall of Fame in 2018.
What we talk about on this episode:
- Dog shows and the upcoming Beverly Hills Dog Show on NBC
- Some common myths about dog shows and the best way to watch them.
- Therapy dogs and David’s work with them.
- David’s books, “The Angel by My Side” and “Angel on a Leash”
Host, Michele Forto’s Bio: Michele Forto is the lead trainer for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for service work, obedience and more. Michele is also the business manager and husky wrangler for Team Ineka. When Michele is not training dogs she loves to travel on their annual Rock n Roller Tours where she and Robert hit up rock concerts and roller coasters around the country.
Host, Robert Forto’s Bio: Robert Forto is the training director for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for canine obedience, working dogs, therapy dogs and service dogs for clients all over North America. He is also a dog musher and he and his wife operate a 40-dog mushing kennel in Willow, Alaska, called Team Ineka. They can often be seen at local races and leading expeditions in the Alaska backcountry with outdoor leadership students at the University of Alaska. Robert is the producer of Dog Works Radio that has been on the air since 2009 and is currently simulcast on a local radio station, KVRF in Palmer, Alaska.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- David on Facebook
- David on Twitter
- RSS feed for our show: https://dogworksradio.libsyn.com/rss
- Alaska Dog Works
- First Paw Coffee
- Robert Forto on Twitter: @robertforto
- Dog Works Radio on Twitter: @dogworksradio
- Michele Forto on Twitter: @micheleforto
- Alex Stein on Twitter: @coldfootfilms
- Dog Works Radio on Facebook
- Dog Works Radio on Instagram
- KVRF in Alaska
Thanks for Listening! We appreciate your visiting our site today and for help in bringing awareness to the Dog Works Radio podcast
Where we are going? (In real life)
- Podcast Movement 20 in Dallas
- Live coverage of the Alaska Dog Works Dryland Derby 2020
- The APDT Conference in October
- Rock n Roller Coaster Tour 20 #rocknroller20 to live host The Coaster Geeks Podcast
Audience feedback drives the show. We would love for you to email is and keep the conversation going! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-841-1686. We would love to hear from you!
Help us spread the word! We would love if you could please share #DogPod with your Twitter followers. Click here to post a tweet If you dig this episode head over to Apple Podcasts and kindly leave us a rating or a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Dog Works Radio
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to subscribe on Spotify
- Click here to subscribe on Player FM
Feedback and Promotion You can ask your questions, make comments and request a show topic! Let your voice be heard.