Please join host Robert Forto as he welcomes authors, Jim Nelson and Rene Agredano to talk about their new book. Be More Dog as well as Tripawd Dogs and living in the moment.
My wife Rene and I have managed the Tripawds community for more than 12 years now. Tripawds is the largest online support community for amputee pets and their people. One of our most memorable members was Calpurnia, a three-legged sled dog we had the chance to meet on a couple training runs years ago. We started Tripawds in 2006, when our dog Jerry lost a leg to the same cancer that took Calpurnia.
Our story was featured in Nature: Why We Love Cats and Dogs, which first aired on PBS in 2009. I also appeared on the Hallmark Channel’s, Who Let the Dogs Out. More recently, we have just published our new Book – Be More Dog: Learning to Live in the Now – which features a foreword and original illustration by MUTTS comic strip creator Patrick McDonnell.
Be More Dog tells our story of the many adventures we had traveling the country with Jerry after his amputation. Our visits with Calpurnia are detailed in a couple important scenes of the book.
Rene and I really respect the the work you’re doing on Dog Works Radio, by sharing great inspirational stories about the lifelong and fulfilling relationships we develop with our dogs – just like we did on the Nature episode for PBS. We would be honored to share our message with your audience.
What we talk about on this episode:
- One in four dogs will get cancer, and most cope with it better than their people do.
- We can learn a lot from our dogs, if we only discover how to listen.
- Living in the Now as dogs do, can help us be more human.
- Loving life to the fullest can help us live a longer healthy life. (It did for Jerry)
Host, Michele Forto’s Bio: Michele Forto is the lead trainer for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for service work, obedience and more. Michele is also the business manager and husky wrangler for Team Ineka. When Michele is not training dogs she loves to travel on their annual Rock n Roller Tours where she and Robert hit up rock concerts and roller coasters around the country.
Host, Robert Forto’s Bio: Robert Forto is the training director for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for canine obedience, working dogs, therapy dogs and service dogs for clients all over North America. He is also a dog musher and he and his wife operate a 40-dog mushing kennel in Willow, Alaska, called Team Ineka. They can often be seen at local races and leading expeditions in the Alaska backcountry with outdoor leadership students at the University of Alaska. Robert is the producer of Dog Works Radio that has been on the air since 2009 and is currently simulcast on a local radio station, KVRF in Palmer, Alaska.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Buy Be More Dog Book
- Tripawd Foundation
- RSS feed for our show: https://dogworksradio.libsyn.com/rss
- Alaska Dog Works
- Robert Forto on Twitter: @robertforto
- Dog Works Radio on Twitter: @dogworksradio
- Michele Forto on Twitter: @micheleforto
- Alex Stein on Twitter: @coldfootfilms
- Dog Works Radio on Facebook
- Dog Works Radio on Instagram
- KVRF in Alaska
Thanks for Listening! We appreciate your visiting our site today and for help in bringing awareness to the Dog Works Radio podcast
Where we are going? (In real life)
- Podcast Movement 19 in Orlando
- Live coverage of the Alaska Dog Works Dryland Derby 2019
- Rock n Roller Coaster Tour 19#rocknroller19 to live host The Coaster Geeks Podcast
Audience feedback drives the show. We would love for you to email is and keep the conversation going! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-841-1686. We would love to hear from you!
Help us spread the word! We would love if you could please share #DogPod with your Twitter followers. Click here to post a tweet If you dig this episode head over to Apple Podcasts and kindly leave us a rating or a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Dog Works Radio
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to subscribe on Spotify
- Click here to subscribe on Player FM
Feedback and Promotion You can ask your questions, make comments and request a show topic! Let your voice be heard.