Join hosts Robert Forto and Alex Stein as they talk about some of the recent updates in the mushing world on Dog Works Radio. The guys discuss recent Iditarod qualifiers including Jeff King winning his first red lantern. They also talk about Iditarod rookie Quince Mountain and the #UglyDogs, social media and mushing and the death of two in the Iditarod community.
What we talk about on this episode:
- Qualifying races
- Quince Mountain and the #UglyDogs
- Social media and mushing
- The passing of Middy Johnson
- The passing of Bud Smyth
Host, Robert Forto’s Bio: Robert Forto is the training director for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for canine obedience, working dogs, therapy dogs and service dogs for clients all over North America. He is also a dog musher and he and his wife operate a 40-dog mushing kennel in Willow, Alaska, called Team Ineka. They can often be seen at local races and leading expeditions in the Alaska backcountry with outdoor leadership students at the University of Alaska. Robert is the producer of Dog Works Radio that has been on the air since 2009 and is currently simulcast on a local radio station, KVRF in Palmer, Alaska.
Host, Alex Stein’s Bio: Alex M. Stein is a writer, documentary filmmaker, and storyteller living in Los Angeles while pining for the Northern Lights. He is the author of the personal essay collection NO, MR. BOND, I EXPECT YOUR DREAMS TO DIE and directed the Iditarod documentary MUSH. He was married in Alaska, above the Arctic Circle, at the northernmost saloon in the world, by the bartender. Alex has been a host on Dog Works Radio since 2012 and he can be heard on our mushing broadcasts and during our annual nightly Iditarod coverage each March.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Apline Creek 300 race
- K300 race
- Quince Mountain on Twitter
- Bud Smyth
- Middy Johnson
- RSS feed for our show: https://dogworksradio.libsyn.com/rss
- Alaska Dog Works
- First Paw Coffee
- Robert Forto on Twitter: @robertforto
- Dog Works Radio on Twitter: @dogworksradio
- Michele Forto on Twitter: @micheleforto
- Alex Stein on Twitter: @coldfootfilms
- Dog Works Radio on Facebook
- Dog Works Radio on Instagram
- KVRF in Alaska
Thanks for Listening! We appreciate your visiting our site today and for help in bringing awareness to the Dog Works Radio podcast
Where we are going? (In real life)
- Podcast Movement 20 in Dallas
- The APDT conference
- Rock n Roller Coaster Tour 20 #rocknroller20 to live host The Coaster Geeks Podcast
Audience feedback drives the show. We would love for you to email is and keep the conversation going! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-841-1686. We would love to hear from you!
Did you know that you can now listen to Dog Works Radio on your Alexa device? Click here to learn how.
Help us spread the word! We would love if you could please share #DogPod with your Twitter followers. Click here to post a tweet If you dig this episode head over to Apple Podcasts and kindly leave us a rating or a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Dog Works Radio
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to subscribe on Spotify
- Click here to subscribe on Player FM
- Click here to subscribe on iHeartradio
Feedback and Promotion You can ask your questions, make comments and request a show topic! Let your voice be heard.
- Call 907-841-1686
- Email email@example.com
- Book an interview on the show
- Take the Survey