Join host Michele Forto as she discusses Our Fascination with Dogs and What it Says About Us on Dog Works Radio.
As the COVID-19 pandemic first swept through the United States a year ago, dog adoptions skyrocketed. One estimate from PetPoint, which keeps statistics on the number of animals currently in the American shelter system, found that adoptions were up more than 12% in 2020 — after years of declining numbers. Anecdotal reports from breeders suggest demand for new puppies followed this trajectory as well. On today’s podcast we are examining the changing face of “America’s dog” — and what it says about us.
This episode will be a deep dive into our various canine love affairs, from postwar era’s working dogs to the designer breeds of today. This is a good one. If you are new here, please do us a favor and hit that like and subscribe button. If you really like what we do, be sure to hit that notification bell and you will never miss an episode.
What we talk about on this episode:
- Our fascination with dogs
- The French Bulldog
- Golden Retrievers
- Pit Bulls
- What is next in our obsession with dogs?
Host, Michele Forto’s Bio: Michele Forto is the lead trainer for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for service work, obedience, and more. Michele is also the business manager and husky wrangler for Team Ineka. When Michele is not training dogs she loves to travel on their annual Rock n Roller Tours where she and Robert hit up rock concerts and roller coasters around the country.
Host, Robert Forto’s Bio: Robert Forto is the training director for Alaska Dog Works where they train dogs for canine obedience, working dogs, therapy dogs, and service dogs for clients all over North America. He is also a dog musher and he and his wife operate a 36-dog mushing kennel in Willow, Alaska, called Team Ineka. They can often be seen at local races and leading expeditions in the Alaska backcountry with outdoor leadership students at the University of Alaska. Robert is the producer of Dog Works Radio that has been on the air since 2009 and is currently simulcast on a local radio station, KVRF in Palmer, Alaska.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- RSS feed for our show: https://dogworksradio.libsyn.com/rss
- Alaska Dog Works
- First Paw Coffee
- Robert Forto on Twitter: @robertforto
- Dog Works Radio on Twitter: @dogworksradio
- Michele Forto on Twitter: @micheleforto
- Alex Stein on Twitter: @coldfootfilms
- Dog Works Radio on Facebook
- Dog Works Radio on Instagram
- KVRF in Alaska
Thanks for Listening! We appreciate your visiting our site today and for help in bringing awareness to the Dog Works Radio podcast
- Rock n Roller Coaster Tour 21 #rocknroller21 to live host The Coaster Geeks Podcast
- Podcast Movement 21 in Nashville in August #PM21
- Podcast Movement 22 in Dallas #PM22
- We would love to hear from you!
Help us spread the word! We would love it if you could please share #DogPod with your Twitter followers. Click here to post a tweet If you dig this episode head over to Apple Podcasts and kindly leave us a rating or a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Dog Works Radio
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to subscribe on Spotify
- Click here to subscribe on Player FM
Feedback and Promotion You can ask your questions, make comments, and request a show topic! Let your voice be heard.